First and foremost, if your schedule has changed and you cannot make it to the tournament, please cancel your sign-up as soon as possible and let me know that you have so that I can have one of the alternates take your place.
As mentioned previously, there will be NO WALK-ONS for this tournament (as there have been in the past). At present the rosters are full and any additional players would take away playing time from those already signed up.
There will be hot foods and such there but we will need additional things such as plates, chips, etc.
I have made a sign-up list for those items (link below). If you would like to contribute, sign up!
Donations towards the hot foods is always appreciated.
As most of you know, we lost one of our own this year and have honored him with the naming of the Almost Winter Classic trophy. We would like to take this one step further and will have a (cash) donation jar at the rink for anyone who would like to contribute toward the MS Society. We will collect the money and make a donation in his name.
The schedule has been posted but here’s a rundown of the tournament timeline:
- Please show up at 11am! The draft is PROMPTLY at 11:30am. We will have nametags (no I’m not kidding) so that the goalies don’t have to point-and-pick.
- This is a snake-draft tournament, “schoolyard style”. Runners will line up single file along the bench side boards (with their name tags affixed) and the goalies will start drafting to form their teams.
- First game will begin at noon (or earlier if we’re ready)
- Each team guaranteed 4 games (3 round robin, 1 elimination game)
- Championship game will begin at 4pm
For a great many of you, this will be your first AWC so note that this is a competitive but friendly tournament. We always think of this as a fun event that just happens to have a trophy involved. Also there will be a few younger folks playing so show some restraint when playing against them (but not too much…they know what they’re doing out there!)