The Memorial Day 250 tournament scheduled for May 26th has been postponed due to a strong chance of rain and thunderstorms. The new date is Saturday June 23rd, same location.
Greetings to all!
Come join us for a fun day of hockey, camaraderie, and help out the group at the same time!
The 2018 Memorial Day 250 tournament will be held on Saturday May 26th at 9am in the basketball courts at Waymer Park, Huntersville NC. This tourney is a benefit of sorts as the money will go to fund a few of our initiatives including applying for non-profit status and steps to find/fund our own facility.
Here are some highlights:
– $20 dollar donation for runners, $10 for goalies, payable at the OpenSports event sign up page
– 4 game guarantee
– Round robin/single elimination format (with a few twists)
– post-tourney cookout at the park
– prize(s) for the winning team (TBD)
This will be a draft style tournament, of sorts.
Deadline to sign up will be Sunday, May 20th. Teams will then be formed from the player pool in order to make them as fair and equal as possible.
If it turns out that you cannot play, refund deadline is 48 hours before tournament start.
This should be a pretty fun tourney as we get back to our roots at Waymer Park.
Here is the link to the event/sign-up page —> CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP
Let’s get a big turnout guys and girls!!
More good press for the group!
Check out this article about us by our new scheduling partner, OpenSports.org!
There are a number of plans and happenings going on at the CSH and we wanted to give everyone a much overdue update.
Hit the Dek Podcast: if you haven’t given this a listen, please do. It was a fun experience for sure! Click here to listen!
RSHL Ironman tournament: our boys kicked butt up in Raleigh a few weeks ago with both C-division teams meeting in the finals! Thanks to the RSHL for hosting another great event. This bodes well for the CSH travel team as both teams had members sprinkled throughout.
There is a little bit of bad news. Regretfully we are not going to be able to offer a league at the rink. The details do not matter at this point. But this disappointment has reinforced the fact that we really need of a facility we can call our own. We are growing in numbers but are only able to offer pick-up games and the occasional tournament.
The ultimate goal of this group is to have an outdoor dek hockey rink built, run by some of us. We could then offer leagues, host national tournaments, hold youth camps, etc.
To kickoff the fundraising, we’ll be hosting a fun little tournament at Waymer Park (maybe have a cookout there as well) sometime in early May. Cost would be something like $20-25 but 100% will go towards the rink. We’ll probably have some t-shirt sales too (CSH koozies anyone?)
If anyone would like to be involved in this project or have constructive ideas, don’t hesitate to talk to either myself or Nick Rose.
More details about the tournament coming soon. Stay tuned!
Charlotte Street Hockey is migrating our sign-up page from the Sign-up Genius application to OpenSports.net! This is a much easier and cleaner interface for both users and admins.
If we have your email address on file, you will be receiving an email with an invite to our page on OpenSports.net. We strongly encourage you to join so that you can receive invites to pick-up games, tournaments, etc. OpenSports also has an app for Android and IOS. You can download them at the links provided below. If any of our events are changed or cancelled, you will be able to receive push notifications via the app and/or email.
When opening the link to our events page on OpenSports, please follow these simple instructions:
- Click on the event that you wish to sign up for.
- On the next page that opens (event details), click on the green “join” button at the bottom of the page.
- Select either “goalie” or “winger” (all runner positions are wingers for this application).
- You will then be prompted to either sign up with Facebook or you may join OpenSports.net (if you have not already) by entering your email address to create an account (highly recommended). You can also follow the group if you create an account.
- Hit the green “sign up” button and you’re done!
Our intent is to streamline our scheduling/notification process since we have multiple players spread out over many different interfaces. We’d like to be less Facebook/email driven as well.
The link to the event page for CSH is below and it will also be added to the “pick-up games” page on the website and in the pinned post on our Facebook page.
Thank you for your cooperation with this transition!
Lou Harvatin and goalie extraordinaire Ryan Diaz were recently interviewed by the Hit The Dek Podcast! You can hear the interview (and other dek hockey tidbits) at the below link to the HTD podcast. Give them a listen and subscribe!
First and foremost, if your schedule has changed and you cannot make it to the tournament, please cancel your sign-up as soon as possible and let me know that you have so that I can have one of the alternates take your place.
As mentioned previously, there will be NO WALK-ONS for this tournament (as there have been in the past). At present the rosters are full and any additional players would take away playing time from those already signed up.
There will be hot foods and such there but we will need additional things such as plates, chips, etc.
I have made a sign-up list for those items (link below). If you would like to contribute, sign up!
Donations towards the hot foods is always appreciated.
As most of you know, we lost one of our own this year and have honored him with the naming of the Almost Winter Classic trophy. We would like to take this one step further and will have a (cash) donation jar at the rink for anyone who would like to contribute toward the MS Society. We will collect the money and make a donation in his name.
The schedule has been posted but here’s a rundown of the tournament timeline:
- Please show up at 11am! The draft is PROMPTLY at 11:30am. We will have nametags (no I’m not kidding) so that the goalies don’t have to point-and-pick.
- This is a snake-draft tournament, “schoolyard style”. Runners will line up single file along the bench side boards (with their name tags affixed) and the goalies will start drafting to form their teams.
- First game will begin at noon (or earlier if we’re ready)
- Each team guaranteed 4 games (3 round robin, 1 elimination game)
- Championship game will begin at 4pm
For a great many of you, this will be your first AWC so note that this is a competitive but friendly tournament. We always think of this as a fun event that just happens to have a trophy involved. Also there will be a few younger folks playing so show some restraint when playing against them (but not too much…they know what they’re doing out there!)
The time has finally come…
The official sign-up for the 2017 Almost Winter Classic Ball Hockey Draft Tournament is below! (Time and date are in the body of the sign-up)
Let’s go over a few details:
• There are 6 starting goalie spots open. If by chance you are a goalie and did not sign up in time, there are also “alternate goalie” slots open as well. In case a starter can’t play, the first “alt-goalie” will move up to the starter spot.
• We are optimistically looking to fill 60 runner spots (6 teams, 10 runners each). We’ve been getting 20+ at regular pick-up games so this number does not seem out of reach. **If you are signing up for more than one person, please include their full name in the “comments” section.
• Registration ends Friday, November 24th at midnight. **No sign-ups will be accepted after that time unless we need to fill empty roster spots.
Reminder: if you cannot play for the entirety of the tournament (11:30 till 4pm including the pre-tournament draft and post-tourney eats), please do not sign up. This is in fairness to the teams as no one wants to have a player just leave in the middle leaving them a man or more short.
Format, rules and a somewhat special announcement will be posted in the coming weeks.